Monday, February 27, 2006

Facing the Dragon

A lot happened to me today. :)

Firstly, I had a face-off with the head of the psychology department. I needed to get his signature showing approval of my proposed course, which the previous week I spent a considerable amount of time ensuring that it would balance.

I caught the head kind of off guard, because he had proven to be difficult to approach and I'd just simply not thought of e-mailing him (silly me.) Anyway he was quite curt and grumpy while I tried to explain what I was hoping to achieve. He poo-pooed my previous psychology training, which I found amusing, especially when he then admitted that he had no idea about any of the courses I'd applied to do and claimed that they didn't relate to each other in anyway.

I pointed out that I had spoken to the convenor who had initially planned all of them and had spoken to him about my plans after I completed the diploma. We had designed the course to best utilise my knowledge, and to provide me with the tools and knowledges to help me in any potential post-graduate study.

I then pointed out that I had planned the course so that I was only doing level 200 papers prior to doing the 300 levels. I had also planned out to do the requisite statistics papers as well. He said that nobody could possibly do a psychology major in a single year, I pointed out that the university, the humanities department and the other schools seemed to think differently. Then he tried to argue that 300 level papers were difficult. I reminded him that I did know this, I already had degree.

So grudgingly he signed the form, finding no more arguments to present. I admitted that I was aware of the workload I was setting myself, and had designed the course to maximise my chances of completing it effectively.

Now I appreciate his attitude - because he was making sure that I was committed to the diploma. It is a lot of work cramming essentially 2-3 years of study into one year. I need to be determined and commited to succeeding, and I will be able to remind myself each time I flounder how he looked at me and said "no-one has ever succeeded at doing that."

I've done this level of study before - it can be done. I did it in my last year of my BA where I had to do catch up for one of my subjects. It was very tough, but I did it. It most definitely can be done and has been done. :)

As if to prove it, I attended a very light 100 statistics class that actually sounds like it will be a lot of fun. The next lecture, the 200 level psychology paper, was the one that scared me. I was worried that I was leaping into the deep end without any idea. However, once the lecturer started talking, I understood everything he was talking about and how it related to the subject - so I'm fairly confident that I will be able to do well this year. :)

So watchout Victoria Uni, I'm going to prove that old dragon wrong. :)

Love and Huggles

Conan

Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Currently Playing: Fireborn - Rememberance; Unknown Armies - To Go; Mage: The Awakening - Threshold
Mood: Determined and Excited


No comments: