Friday, February 17, 2006

Finding the way to becoming an author

I find it kind of strange reading the blogs of many other writers. Often there is a kind of concealed pretentiousness to a lot of their thoughts, and it makes me wonder if I ever carry the same tone when I talk about my writing. Or is it that I'm not really at the same level as they are and my perception of their pretentious nature is really a projection of my own envy?

See how much trouble too much introspection can get you into?

I guess the problem comes from my difficulty hammering out the details of a work. Many writers plan out their novels, have a strong idea of the arc and direction and then write. I, on the other hand, tend to have scenes and ideas, then try to find the route that leads to them. I've started reading A Game of Thrones, and I will admit that reading writing like that intimidates me. I can see how I have a similar economy of words, but somehow I feel like my writing can sometimes plod and clunk along.

Still doesn't really answer the pretentiousness comment. I guess the thing that bugs me is that a lot of writers go beyond accepting that they are writers - they tend to think that their style is the only style worth discussing. I don't really know how to put it - many writers, and many wannabe writers, waffle on endlessly about form and theme. I tend to find it incredibly tiring stuff.

I always remember attending a talk by author Kate O'Riordan, who is one of the most lyrical and haunting authors I have read. She was a very down-to-earth woman who was interesting when she spoke about her writing. She talked about visual, narrative and even aural aspects of the art. About the tricks of getting people to feel that they are part of the story.

Many writers seem to feel that they have some sort of intellectual superiority over others. It's kind of mind boggling. Kate O'Riordan didn't. She was humble and thoughtful. I would like to think that some day I'll be like she was. Just willing to talk about the craft of writing without sounding like a wanker.

Maybe that's it - some writers talk about writing as if it was personal and existed solely for their own benefit. Yes, writing is a personal craft, but it is something that is about sharing yourself with others as well, I suspect. Which leads me back to my latest project. I've only written about three pages worth - and the scene flowed out nicely. I'm not going to edit it or look over the scene again until the book is finished, but it lead to a point that has kind of hiccuped. Thus my concern.

I have a guy about to answer a phone, and I realise I have no idea who is on the other line. I tried to make it a friend inviting the main protagonist out, but it felt forced. So now I'm waiting for the same flash of inspiration that lead me to write the initial scene.

One thing is for certain, despite the grammar errors that no doubt flood this blog, writing daily here is helping to shake the cobwebs out of my head. :)

So while I am wrestling with finding work, deciding my future and working on a book - wow. It's amazing I don't just spontaneously combust at this rate! :) Looking forward to the weekend though... :D

Love and Huggles

Conan

Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin
Currently Playing: Fireborn - Rememberance; Unknown Armies - To Go; Mage: The Awakening - Threshold
Mood: Feeling positive

No comments: