Monday, September 11, 2006

Kiss and Tell

A lot is building up at the moment. There is increasing pressure at work for me to leave - nothing major, but B. is wanting to resign today (if she shows up) and she was asking me if I was going to be resigning today as well. Another wave of resignations is in process with one of the new full-timers heading off now too.

I'm realising that if I want to find another job, I need to get my resignation in now as the owners will be going to Thailand on holiday in about two weeks and then wont be back until the beginning of October.

So I need to think about when I want to leave. I could leave the week before they get back - which allows me to attend Megaroleplaying Weekend and still have the Monday to recover from it. :D

But that might cause problems with the owners, and it would look really good if I offer to work the week they get back, just so that they don't come home to have to stress about hiring new full-timers and being seriously short-staffed. (Chances are that with B. and I leaving, Emile and T. will also resign.)

Further, I'm really scared about leaping without any confirmed income. ESG is simply not generating enough sales to justify it. Unless the boardgaming community got wind of it and started ordering today, I don't think that I can count on ESG to pay my bills. Luckily I ought to get enough in holiday pay to pay a month worth of rent - which effectively gives me 8 weeks to find a job. So I shouldn't need to stress too much.

Now on to what I was going to talk about today...

Kissing.

Izzy told us yesterday how she was waiting at a bus-stop on Saturday night when this (rather drunken) girl walked over said "you are so beautiful!" And then promptly pashed her full on the mouth - apparently tongue and all.

This got me thinking. How often is it that you see someone and you just have to fight the urge to kiss them?

Why is kissing such a good thing? Is there a scientific reason behind it? (One would assume that science has an answer.)

According to Wikipedia it is a learned response that is part of grooming. (!?)

I've had the urge to kiss some people in my time. Not that I've acted on it. But I have to admit, I like kissing. It's fun, and interesting how no two people seem to kiss the same way. Ever notice that?

Some people seem to treat it like a wrestling competition, others explore and yet others seem to almost go for the hint of a kiss more than an actual pash.

I can't think of anything more intimate than kissing. Sure, sex is a pretty intimate thing, but kissing is something you rarely do with someone you don't like.

Emile was talking to me yesterday, and Emoboy came up briefly in conversation (that's Kev, the guy I dated briefly earlier on in the year) and he asked me if I'd been on a date recently.

I pointed out that the closest thing I've had to a date recently has been going to the movies with him, Panda_pitt and Fraser_by_Proxy. Now I feel it is pretty safe to say, none of those were what I would really classify as dates. Because, well, dating is something very different from hanging out at the movies with friends.

Then, in his usual teasy ambiguous way, Emile said that Snakes on Plane could be called a date if I wanted to. I pointed out that calling it a date didn't make it a date - then we had to get back to work while I fumbled around trying to explain why I didn't call it a date. (For the record again, Emile is straight and has a girlfriend. I realise that some people reading this blog could get the SERIOUSLY wrong picture of events.)

Which did get me thinking - what makes a date, well, a date? Emile seemed to think that it is when you go out with someone with the intention of possibly scoring afterwards. But I don't agree.

Because you can still go on dates after you've "scored" with that person. Also, you can end up dating without scoring.

I tried to explain that dating is when you spend time with someone you really like and want to know them better - but then that kind of made Emile and I's movie nights sound like dates.

So I ended up fumbling around not really doing a good job at making myself sound rational rather than some loopy guy. :D

I guess it depends on a whole series of things. Anyway, it's only a date if both people think it's a date. There. That works. :)

The upshot of all this is that I really miss kissing - as it has been over a year since I've snogged anyone. Yes. I've dated down here - but all the dates I've been on have been... well... unsuccessful events.

Which isn't to say that I just want to end up kissing just anyone. Again we come to that thing of me wanting to meet someone I care about. There are people I do care about down here, but no-one who is likely to be a potential partner.

I like the idea of being able to go out with someone, hang out at home, kiss, hug - think about our lives together. I want to live with someone who I care about. But I need to date first, build up a relationship...

So much to deal with, isn't it. A business, possibly leaving my current job, finding someone, dealing with a flatmate moving out, needing to find a new flatmate, run a game on Mondays, possibly plan a LARP... not to mention all these other thoughts plaguing me.

It would just be nice to sort at least one of these things out.

I know which I'd prefer to have sorted out first... :)

Anyway, catch y'all later!

Love and Huggles

Conan

Currently Reading: The Reality Dysfunction
Currently Playing: Exalted: The Seventh Legion
Mood:Feeling rather thoughtful...
(Thoughtful Menchi)

No comments: