Friday, September 08, 2006

Harmony, The Universe and Love

Well this has been a continued consideration for me. Previously I rambled on a bit about some of my more deeply held beliefs - somehow managing to avoid committing too much to stating them, but talking enough to see if anyone who knew what I was on about would catch on.

I'm not quite sure where to begin here. I was going to talk about evil, good, sin and virtue - but I'm not really certain about what I want to say. Some of this stuff involves deeply held idea of my own that I'm not too sure that I'm willing to discuss on such a public forum.

I want to talk about harmony, the universe and how it plays into my view of the world. But I'm not 100% sure where to begin without sounding trite about it.

Then, of course, there is my silly obsession with love. (Okay, okay, I'm a fan of Moulin Rouge.)

Harmony



As I mentioned previously, I think the key to improving the world isn't going to lie in making everyone happy all the time. This is simply impossible to do. Due to the transience of physical existence, we will always know despair and sorrow while we live in this universe.

But that doesn't mean we need to give in to it. That is what Harmony is about. Acceptance. There is evil, there is pain. By accepting that and realising that we can gain control over the ebb and flow of such things so that they lead to the better things in life.

What this also means is that we shouldn't go around spreading such actions. The Universe challenges us to do good. The world has enough darkness in it without conscious, rational addition of more pain.

Harmony seeks to find a balance. This is not a new philosophy either. Buddhism, Taoism even the Ancient Egyptian ideal of Ma'at contain elements of this idea.

Note that Harmony doesn't mean becoming a Luddite either. Technology and development can be in Harmony too. Consider how our solar system is designed to provide all the resources to allow us to expand, but by fighting nature and unity we squander the resources we have at our feet.

Clever use of the Earth's resources alongside technological development can allow us the ability to reach beyond Earth. But until we sort things out at home - how can we hope to take to the stars?

The Universe



Herein lies an idea that I am still considering. The Universe is one organism. It isn't built with organs and cells so much as energy. We are all part of that organism. The Universe is much like the idea of the China Brain. The sum total of all consciousness gives rise to the Universe having desires and consciousness.

Maybe there are Gods, beings that are more aware of how the Universe operates and thus are able to exploit that knowledge. I'm not sure.

But at the core of it is the idea that the Universe moves towards Harmony, and it pushes us in that direction too. This is at the core of Taoist ideals - that if you ride the flow of the universe rather than fight it, then things have a habit of working out.

I have seen this proven enough times to believe it now.

Suffering is transient. Harmony is eternal. Maybe Harmony really is the Void of buddhism. The nothingness that is without pain and suffering.

Or maybe Harmony is balance - not a void, but everything in perfect harmonic flow. Maybe the universe moves like a pendulum until it reaches harmonic balance, before something pushes it out again.

Or maybe I'm getting a little too Woodstock/60s hippy thinking here.

Again, this isn't a perfect representation of my beliefs. Yet I do feel that there is something to the idea of a harmonic universe.

Love



So what is love?

The desire to become a part of the universe through seeing it with another's eyes? Attraction for procreation?

I think love is many layered. It is an affection for those people you want to keep in your life. True love is the desire to share life with another person - to become a part of their world and be there for them.

It can be expressed in so many multitudinous ways too.

Why all this quasi-crazy talk?

Because I don't think we discuss these kinds of things enough. We accept dated views of our world often enough. There are wars fought over such things as God and Allah, and who is right.

But it seems to me that in the end, we often are talking about the same thing but using other peoples ideas rather than thinking of some of our own. Our world is seriously out of balance at the moment. Driven by the fact that most people are refusing to accept that there can be other ways of looking at the same thing.

Maybe I just need to chill out more. :D


Love and Huggles

Conan

Currently Reading:The Reality Dysfunction
Currently Playing: Exalted: The Seventh Legion
Mood: Not too bad. Just thinking about stuff.

No comments: