Thursday, April 27, 2006

What is it about the Gilmore Girls?

So I was going to talk to y'all about Babylon 5 and how I've started watching it, when I got somewhat hijacked by the Gilmore Girls after getting to watch the first episode of the series.

What is it about that crazy mother-daughter duo from Star Hollow, Connecticut?

Oddly enough it ties in with my Babylon 5 thoughts, see.

I watched the pilot episode of Babylon 5 and afterwards found myself asking "how on earth did this ever get a series made from it?" The dialogue was crap, the acting cringe worthy bar a few notable exceptions and the story kind of stumbled around in an attempt to suggest that there was something greater going on while constantly feeling like it was being made up as it went along.

The special effects were dated for now, but I can accept at the time they were amazing - heck, I remember as a kid watching the show and thinking "wow those are cool special effects."

But what really got me - and the same goes for the first episode of the actual series - was how clumsy the whole show felt. Even now, four episodes in, I find it a battle to watch the show - the scriptwriting is atrocious. Really. It smacks of clumsy attempts at seeming more than it really is. I'm hoping that as the series progresses this improves. But next to Firefly, Buffy and other such shows it feels very hokey. I am somewhat amazed the series ever garned the following it has if the first few shows are anything to go by.

Which brings me to Gilmore Girls. It strikes me that a lot of negativity that certain people direct at this show comes from those who have never really sat down and watched it.

From the very first scene where Lorelai Gilmore enter's Luke's diner it was clear that this show was going to be a major hit. The characters didn't feel like the actors were stumbling around trying to find a connection, they all felt like real people who had previous relationships. Much like Firefly, there was a true sense of stepping into the middle of these people's lives and picking up the story from that point.

The dialogue is amazing. Gilmore Girls manages to be a show that's really about nothing other than people's ordinary lives while having the kind of slick dialogue one comes to expect from shows like West Wing.

Star Hollow presents an America that people want to live in. Hell, I want to live there!

But most interestingly, to me, the world of the Gilmore Girls is about imperfect people coming to make the best of their lives and thus find themselves in a perfect world. Everyone in Gilmore Girls is a dreamer of some sort. There are no bad guys in this world - just flawed people who make mistakes or fail to understand the other people in their lives.

The thing is, this talky show really hits it on the head - treat life with a sense of humour and be willing to communicate with others and things will work out. Because they do. In the world of Star Hollow, the ills of the world are able to be healed by people learning to accept that they have faults, and having the willingness to work together to overcome them.

I'm impressed I've managed to write so much about this show already. But I have to admit it - I am liking the show because it is so well produced and cast. If you've never given this show a chance, I recommend taking another look.

In the meantime, I live in hope that Babylon 5 manages to live up to the hype. So far... I would have canned it after five episodes.

Love and Huggles

Conan

Currently Reading: Not much
Currently Playing: Unknown Armies - To Go;Exalted
Mood:Doing fine


No comments: