Wednesday, March 14, 2007

12-Week-Challenge: Transformation and Exercise

Well this is a double-whammy of posts - spot my Dead Like Me review above...

So I am currently in the cybercafe having just finished an 11 mile intensive hill ride (simulated) and realising how dramatically my body is changing.

Yesterday was the second day of my new upper-body training, using supersets as well as the standard sets. For those who don't know what that means, a "set" is a series of repetitions (reps) of a particular motion. In weight training it involves using weights to raise the intensity of the motion on the muscles - which causes them to tear, the main intention of the "set."

The idea is to tear the muscle, then combined with a nutritional diet, cause it to grow back stronger and more efficient.

Now, normally you take a break between each set - this is because if you put too much strain on the muscle it will cause serious damage. However, the continued exercise causes the muscles to reach a kind of "high point" where the exercise will produce optimum results - it is at this point that you want to perform a superset - which is a different exercise that uses the same muscle group, however in a different way to also use the connecting muscles that are activated at the high point.

In layman's terms it means one thing - a lot of pain! :D

But it is a good kind of pain, that achey feeling as the muscles recover, grow stronger and leave you feeling more vital and oddly full of energy.

I'm talking about the euphoric adrenalin rush that comes straight after, but rather the healthy ache that you get the next day when the muscles actually start their work healing.

I've been playfully mocked by a couple of people about doing this programme, but considering that I've lost some weight around my face, my chest has raised and expanded, my shoulders are now more defined and my stomach is continuing to shrink - I'm feeling the transformation right now.

And it feels goooood. :)

Not that I'm telling everyone to go out and do heavy training now - rather, if you felt like I was feeling before I started this programme, then you should do yourself a service and get yourself into a training programme. I was feeling like my body wasn't mine anymore, that it was looking less and less like "me" and was getting me down.

That's not how I feel now. I'm enjoying watching the transformation of my body into something I like.

Training doesn't need to be as intensive as what I'm doing. But I am definitely a proponent of looking at more in the way of exercise...

Love and Huggles

Conan

Currently Reading: Burning Empires
Currently Playing: Exalted: Nexus of the Sun ; Orpheus: Shades of Gray
Mood: Feeling pumped and sexy! :D

No comments: