Thursday, July 26, 2007

Basketball, Test Analysts and Stuff

Before I begin, can I just say that the term "Skux" is the lamest slang word to make it out of New Zealand - especially as it seems to be unique to Wellington gangsta wannabes. So much so that a quick look over the Urban Dictionary shows only NZ posts regarding the word.

Just want to get that out there because it is such a dumb word for "good with the ladies."

Mainly because it sounds ugly and clumsy. Totally uncool.

*whew*

Now that is off my chest. :D

It has been a pretty cool few days. Lynn got tickets to the Tall Blacks vs Venezuela - who totally owned the Tall Blacks. But it was a very cool night out and loads of fun. The Tall Blacks had moments of brilliance, but the Venezuelans were very aggressive and more determined to win.

During the half-game break we were tormented by the hideous tones of the Beat Girls (or whatever they're called) who did the worst cover of Love Shack in the history of mankind, followed by a hideous rendition of Groove is in the Heart, with Scribe's "Not Many, If Any" rap mixed in. It was painful and shocking. Those girls need to be given a job where they never can sing again. For the good of all mankind!

Thank GOD the Venezuelans came out to practice and started playing on the side of the court. The audience cheered with joy when the Beat Girls left.

Tells you something, doesn't it. :D

In other news, I'm currently looking at getting work as a Test Analyst for software companies and IT businesses. I was chatting to Lynn about my degree and experience, she suggested that for me to get more work in IT then I would be well served taking that approach. All that Technocultural study is likely to pay off. I need an analysts job of some sort - that is my field of expertise, and I need to get out of retail. Soon. :D

The Project is moving along at a nice pace. We should have some interesting developments in that field soon too. :)

Anyhoop, time to dash. Catch y'all later!


Love and Huggles

Conan

Currently Reading: Nobilis
Currently Playing: REIGN, WFRP
Mood: Perky and happy!

6 comments:

Seraph said...

M'Lud - I put it to you that many of the painfully stupid students at my school still think that 'Skux' ( often used in the phrase 'skux delux' )is 'the bomb'.

The prosecution rests, M'Lud.

Conan said...

Well I think that it is definitely evidence of the gradual retardation of children in this country. Honestly, it is the dumbest catch phrase ever.

Even dumber than "Choice" or "Stylely"

Conan

Matt said...

I have a sneaking suspicion that it comes from a film, possibly one with Ben Stiller in it? Circa 2004? I will scratch my head some more and see if I can remember...

Conan said...

According to Joe at work it originated a couple of years back from either Tawa or Porirua.

It's worth noting that the term seems to be exclusive to the Greater Wellington area.

I have to admit, I had never heard it until I moved down here and only in the last year.

It seems like kids down here just aren't that good at picking cool trends... :D

Matt said...

I first heard the word skux in 2004, must have been about September. A year 11 student said "there are heaps of skux guys in this class, eh?"

I made a mental note to find out what it meant, so I could know whether she was being mean to people (I think she also referred to a jersey I wore as a skux jersey).

At the time I was sure I'd just heard it in a movie or on TV (like a week before she said it) but hadn't picked up what it meant then either. It could just have been a deja vu type brain event, rather than actually recognising the phrase though...

Anonymous said...

Well, I've never heard of "skux".

And there's nothing wrong with 'Choice'. It's very styly.
;)

- Craig