Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Movie Madness

It has been on the books for some time - I was planning to eventually upgrade to a new computer. An iMac to be exact.

Well the high from doing the 48hour Film Challenge has ended up being the unexpected instigator of change. I went looking at video cameras and realised that I would also need some serious hardware to do even semi-decent editing. Thus when I looked at the monthly cost to upgrade my computer and get a camera, it was an easy decision. :)

So here I am typing on Uriel, my new iMac computer. It is a very sexy little machine (and the free ipod nano was a great surprise to get. :) )

Now I've downloaded the powerful Celtx software that I used to help plan out the scenes and shots for the weekend, and I will be saving up for Final Cut Express... The plan is to practice and prepare for application to the Film School next year. I want to work on a few personal projects first and further develop my understanding of media before I apply.

Also it will mean that I'm more prepared for next years 48 hour challenge, which I will definitely be intending to participate in. :D

On that note, I'm working on a web-project concept (gotta love Macs) which would be a monthly 5-6 minute episodic series based in Wellington. The current concept is about 12-15 episodes... but I need to think a little more on it. I'll be inviting friends and the like who are keen to get some movie-making practice in with a little web project. :)

I'll reveal more once I have the concept further developed. :D

Love and Huggles

Conan

Currently Reading: Manual of Exalted Power: The Lunars
Currently Playing: Exalted: Nexus of the Sun
Mood: All fired up!

3 comments:

Repton said...

An iMac is on my list of "things I might buy one day", but I'm waiting for the new ones to come out. It's been a while since Apple last upgraded the line, so I'm hoping there's an upgrade coming soon. Also I may wait for Leopard to come out..

Conan said...

I thought about waiting, but it is a good time now because they are already beyond PC standard spec and Apple always specials them before a new release. (The imac was only updated last year, after all...)

I'm pretty chuffed with the purchase - it has plenty of HD space, ram and speed. Leopard would be cool, but Tiger works fine. It will do what I bought it for. :) That's the beauty of apple. Even when it is replaced by a new version, your old mac is still worth keeping.

Conan

Matt said...

What kind of camera did you get? I'm always interested in the subject of camera buying, as my school tends to pick up a camera or two every couple of years :)