Monday, May 21, 2007

...And that's a Wrap, folks!

Wow. It's finally over - the 48 Hour Film Challenge was an absolute blast! I was involved with Gino's Rebel Faction team, and it was a fantastic experience from beginning to end! :D

Even though numerous obstacles kept popping up to block the creation of our film, someone was looking over us. Firstly, I was unable to finish work on time to be at the assignments of genre etc. Then we found out that the primary shooting location was first invaded by parents for an open day, then the rugby first XV. Then we found out that the next day our final primary location was going to be where the Regional BRASS BAND competitions were going to be held!

Yet through some impressive team work and sheer determination we were able to get all our primary shooting done between 2pm and 11:30pm on the Saturday, which meant that Ryan and I were able to sit down with the dailies and edit the sucker over the course of Sunday.

For my first serious directing project, it was a lot of fun. Gino had managed to get a team of truly creative people who were full of ideas and talent. Gino and Jeremy's script was hilarious, and it was important to me to try and keep to the spirit of our run throughs - aided by their performances as two of the key characters.

Viv and Angela dressed up the set amazingly, Jamie's graphics (some of which I had to leave out of the final cut, :( ) were perfect.

Our cast were fantastic - often in these "friends as actors" projects, you tend to have to take what you can get performance-wise, but Danyl, Gino and Jeremy put in bloody amazing performances. Meredith's medical props were invaluable - as was having her around to help out with all the jobs that needed to get done so that Ryan, Gino and I could focus on the post-production.

Margaret... what can I say? The Donut shot was fantastic!

Felicity (Flick) also was a godsend with the music, she found us some fantastic Royalty Free tracks that when Ryan put them into the rough cut, we found that the music cues mostly married up to the action! You should have heard us in the Editing room! :D

I'm also very pleased with the cinematography - it was my first time using a camera, and everything is well centred. I kept thinking "that couldn't have been me!" :D

So thanks to everyone on the Rebel Faction! We made a film that we can all be proud of, and best of all everyone had a blast! *Whew* I hope I didn't miss anyone out! Angela, Felicity, Jamie, Jeremy, Danyl, Gino, Viv, Meredith, Ryan, myself - I'm sure I'm missing someone out...

Sorry! I'm so tired, I'm sure there were eleven people...

Well, when we watched the final product, we were in hysterics. Of course there are plans to make a 10 minute (or so) Special Edition. (I hesitate to say "director's cut" because it will also be including Gino's ideas and isn't just my work.) I hope we get to do commentaries for the DVD. :D

Love and Huggles

Conan

Currently Reading: Scion: Hero
Currently Playing: Exalted: Nexus of the Sun
Mood: Super Happy!

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Oh I can't wait to see what yours looks like! Jenni's Angels also made a comedy, and it came out looking pretty slick :)

Matt said...

Congrats - sounds like you had a great time and made a great fillum to boot!