Thursday, February 22, 2007

Rant: Traditional Gamers, Independent Gaming Supporters and Games

So poor Hix was subjected to my recent bugbear - pro-story, anti-gaming, pro-indie game supporters. (Try saying that one three times fast.)

Recently I have become more and more aware of a division forming in this little hobby of mine. One that has a kind of blurry emotional line which is splitting mostly traditional gamers from certain indie gamers.

Now this isn't something Indie games themselves, nor the people who mostly play them. In my experience most gamers are like myself, in the middle happy to try most games. On the other hand there is an emotional battleground developing and is often hinted at by the call-cry of "One True Wayism."

There is no good or bad side. Everyone is making the same arguments. But I am getting a little pissed off at how there are those who have taken sides and refuse to admit to others or themselves that they have done so. (Not particular people I know, but rather certain individuals who hang out on various forums.)

It seems to me that many independent RPG supporters are getting treated much like born again christians. They seem to be seen as a bit kooky, and a little too forceful about their favoured genre of game.

Most frequent visitors to independent game forums would deny that they are such. But I do feel that they are being a bit dishonest with themselves. More on that in a moment...

On the other side, there are the very conservative traditional gamers who have a near irrational hatred for all things indie - as if indie game designers have personally gone and run over their dog!

They are also pissing me off, because it becomes harder for people like myself to make any critical statements about an independent game without being seen as a hard-liner.

Much of this I lay at the feet of Ron Edwards. Yes, it is a harsh statement, but I really don't like the guy. His aggressive and antagonistic approach to traditional gaming - combined with his often populist, poorly researched theory has proved a core element in building up this hostility towards indie games.

I remember the time before Ron Edwards. Back in the day when an independent game was just accepted by those who liked it and the level of rancour that now exists was unheard of. (Not to say it was all roses and happiness, but it certainly wasn't as divisive and nasty as things are now.)

His "Brain damaged" comments have done nothing to help independent game designers make any mark in the industry. He has managed to make a simple hobby something of a minefield when talking about what we enjoy. Contrary to his claims of wanting to create a shared language to help roleplayers and designers talk about their hobby, he has done more to create arguments where there used to be none.

The three-fold way and great model have done more to give roleplayers a negative language to use when playing a game rather than just getting on with enjoying it.

GAH!

Such games as HEX, QAGS, Spirit of the Century and PTA end up having to battle up hill against negative stereotypes to get accepted.

Most of all, I get angry at people who turn around and say "I wont play Indie games" or "I wont play traditional RPGS" all because of some trumped up generalisation about the game.

I'm going to come out and be honest...

I don't like how some people who are pro-indie game harp on about story and character in a manner that leaves me feeling like I'm inadequate for enjoying something like Exalted. I dislike such crap as "this game made me really think about myself as a person" as if a traditional game couldn't do that.

Yes, I enjoy games like Don't Rest Your Head which challenge your perceptions of roleplaying. But I'm not about to go all evangelistic about it.

I guess I'm feeling just aggressive because I keep seeing this stuff being talked about without any consideration for how it is being communicated.

I understand a lot of the appeal - I just wish the language used were better. I know I can get pretty irrational about it myself. I'm trying to keep calm most of the time - but it irks me a lot.

/rant

I know my own communication of my ideas is flawed - I'm still formulating some of them. Maybe I will sit down and plan a more positive discussion about roleplaying issues. But if I hear one more "Ron Edwards is amazing" I think I might just barf. I really feel that he has done more to harm the hobby than any other single figure in the industry. He may have helped boost the indie movement - but he has done more damage than good in my opinion.

Conan

Currently Reading: Wild Talents
Currently Playing: Exalted: Nexus of the Sun; Orpheus: Shades of Gray
Mood: Fighting mood!

7 comments:

Repton said...

Who is Ron Edwards?

Anonymous said...

In general, I think your argument is valid, although a bit stronger than I'd put it.


But you did bust out the rant tags, so... ;)

Mashugenah said...

To be honest Conan, I think you're out of line. You're trying to rewrite your own responses to some games, for example:

Such games as HEX, QAGS, Spirit of the Century and PTA end up having to battle up hill against negative stereotypes to get accepted.

Well do I recall your vituperative first review of PTA. Your problem with it wasn't that it was simply "indie" but you objected to the fundamental shift to scene based play and the attendant focus on key "indie" concepts like "conflict", "kickers" and "bangs."

Moreover, there are people who have looked down on games like Exalted from day 1 and not because of being trendy Ron Edwards-wannabees.. I have a lingering disdain for that style of gaming stretching back into the early 90s, well before Sorcerer or anything.

Yes: Ron Edwards writes badly. But he's no more inflammatory than you are being above.

I'd also point out that a reasonable range of what you're attributing to him (such as GNS) is actually an evolution of approaches to gaming that have been around one hell of a lot longer than Edwards. Yes, he helped shape their current presentation, no, he did not invent them.

Take a deep breath and log out of the RPG.net forums you're reading. They've brought you little but stress in the entire time I've known you.

Conan said...

As I mentioned before - it was more about some irrational ranting. Most of my opinions have changed over time, and this was really just some pent up aggression.

Hence "rant" as opposed to being anything carefully thought out. :)

Conan

Anonymous said...

I just love any argument that uses the line "Back in the day..." :)

FWIW I agree with you that loving something is different from hating something else.

Anonymous said...

Just because you hate hate, does not mean you love love!

Anonymous said...

Profound!