Sunday, January 07, 2007

Review Time: High School Musical

Now there are a lot of people out there who read this blog who will undoubtedly be shocked, nay, disgusted by the addition of High School Musical to my list of reviewed shows. My brother, Henley, is definitely one of them; but I am sure there will be others.

I will not apologise for what I am about to say. I absolutely love Disney's High School Musical.

Sure, sure, you can be cynical about the idea of cashing in on the themes of individuality, standing up for oneself and accepting everyone in the world for who they are and what they want to be - but there is something so beautifully innocent about this show. It's not really made to be the runaway hit it became. The show has that "something to fill in the holiday television schedule" feel to its production and music - and yet it becomes something else... an artifact of some dream ideal of America, maybe?

We're all in this together...

One of the key things that strikes me most about the world of High School Musical is that there are no bad guys. Sure, there are antagonists who try to stop the two protagonist characters from being themselves - but everyone is willing to accept mistakes and make peace with each other. Primarily through song, smiles and being nice to each other.

If only it was that simple in the real world, right?

And I think that is kind of the secret to its appeal. In this time of growing conflict, a simpler world where problems can be solved by people being willing to work things out is a dream we all want to see fulfilled. The catchy tunes and music is popular not so much for its own sake, but rather for its ability to act as a trigger back to the euphoria the viewers feel from watching this idyllic vision of the world.

I know that I wish I could just break into song when I really want to express my feelings - have a little dance number and everyone is friends afterwards. :)

It is hard to fault a show for its lively upbeat nature. I just love to watch this show when I want to relax and feel good. The simple story, the upbeat music and the sheer fun of a musical really makes this show work for me. More so than even Rent - which I almost cried at the end of (I will be reviewing Rent in the near future)

If you haven't yet taken part in High School Musical - I highly recommend it. Put your cynicism and world-weariness aside for a short while and just let yourself be a kid again, enjoying the simple pleasure of a fun world where nobody is left out of the happy ending. :)

Love and Huggles

Conan

Currently Reading: Storm Front
Currently Playing: Exalted: Nexus of the Sun
Mood: Feeling positive and upbeat from High School Musicals... :)

5 comments:

Jenni said...

So...you'll be keen to see the stage production of it that's happening this year with me then?

Conan said...

OOoooh yeah! :)

Anonymous said...

conan - i have lost soooo much respect for you.


eeewwwwwww


emile

Unknown said...

Like I kept on saying.... I told you it was great :)

Anonymous said...

It is an awesome movie. Between Pirates, Sky High and High School Musical, my repsect for Disney as a family entertainer has mych increased.