Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Broken Hearts, Hope and Thought

I've been trying to think about what I want to discuss at the moment. See, I recently saw "The Broken Hearts Club" which was a curious film for a number of reasons. First of all was the number of high-profile heterosexual hollywood actors playing gay men in it. The second being how it accurately portrayed the rather banal condition of gay life, but in a humourous way.

Essentially it is the proto Will & Grace. Except that the men in Broken Hearts actually have active love lives shown to us. It was unusual to see Dean Cain macking on the cute guy from 10 Things I Hate About You. Hot, but weird at the same time.

Still TBHC got me thinking about how it is so true that media supports some strange stereotypes about gay life. According to television and film, most gay people are promiscuous and ticking time bombs who will inevitably get AIDS. Either that, or they are notoriously asexual camp people who are constantly droll.

Now that's not to say that there aren't gay men out there like that - but it is such a false representation of what it means to be gay.

Most gay guys I have met are a bit more boring than that. In a good way. :)

While there are a number of gay men out there who obsess about sex - even when they say they don't - there are also guys who just rather watch DVDs or hang out with mates.

Where is all this going? Well it meant that I was feeling better about being single. Seeing a film that didn't obsess on the negatives of being gay - the whole "I can't find love and a friend is gay and I will end up alone because being gay is SOOOO HARD..." genre of gay movie really pisses me off.

Yes, gay men are more likely to suffer heart-break - that's because there are very few role models to follow regarding dating and relationships. Someone recently pointed out to me how amusing it was to see people saying "Looking for someone my age or younger..." when you consider it - if you want someone 10 years younger than you to date you, you better be ready to date someone 10 years older. It's only fair. :)

This used to piss me off - that guys my age or a bit older than me would only go out with 18-25 year olds. I mean, sure, I like me some young guys too. But I've met some hot 35 year olds, and a couple of good looking 40 years olds. (OMG, it really hits home how old I am when I'm thinking "40 is an okay age..." :D )

Seriously though - the film convinced me that there is still hope of finding love.

I have to dash now - but I just wanted to say - love is not lost. It is still out there for us all. HUGS!

Love and Huggles

Conan

Currently Reading: Nothing right now...
Currently Playing: Exalted: The Seventh Legion, The Secret of Zir'An
Mood: Feeling happy and good.

No comments: